Angela's Recital

It has been a very bizarre last few weeks. An unfortunate situation at our rental home forced us to find a new home and move in a very short amount of time. But James, Tula, and I are settling in to our new home and are grateful to be leaving the drama of the old home behind us. I am happy in our new house, though it is still a completely disheveled mess! It did not have a fence, but our new property manager gave us permission to install a temporary fence, which I did today. We also installed a doggie door for Tula, so now she has access to outside without the possibility of her wandering off. I know she likes the freedom of being inside or out!

And all of this happened during the last weeks of classes! Needless to say, it's been a stressful few weeks. A highlight, however, has been my Master's student Angela, who just performed her recital. I am so proud of the work she did this year. It was a challenging program, and her performance tonight was the best I'd heard from her. Yay Angela!

Happy practicing!

What a week!

Well, I haven't been a slouch this week, that's for sure. I taught 25 lessons, had 9 rehearsals, played 4 concerts, attended one, and managed to squeeze in a trip to the vet to have Tula's stitches removed. I also finagled a way-overdue massage for myself (which helped my thumb feel better).

Wowzer-- I'm tired!

So, with all of that activity, I didn't get nearly enough practicing in (or any exercise! I feel like a slug!). The dress rehearsal for my recital is tomorrow afternoon. There's a myth that bad dress rehearsals mean the actual concert will be great-- I hope that my dress isn't bad (of course) but if it is, at least I have a good excuse, and another chance to support the myth!

This week, there will be much happy practicing.

To you too, I hope!

Tula day.

I have a small poodle named Tula. This morning I took her to a vet, because an unusual spot she had on her side ruptured yesterday. Turns out it was nothing serious-- the vet likened it to an infected ingrown hair, but I did have to leave Tula at the veterinary hospital for the morning, while the vet removed the spot.

I picked her up after about an hour and when I finally got her home, she was sleepy and woozy from the anesthesia, and a lot more needy than I've ever seen her. She is just the sweetest little dog, and I couldn't bring myself to leave her side-- every time I started to go to another room, she would start whimpering and try to follow me on wobbly legs. It was very cute, but it also broke my heart a little. So I actually cancelled the two lessons I was to teach today, so I could stay home with Tula.

As the anesthesia wore off and the morning turned in to afternoon, she started to act like herself again, and now that it's evening, she's back to normal-- minus the shaved patch and three stitches in her side.

Here she is, all woozy.


Poor little pup! I am so very incredibly fond of this little dog. Having her for nearly four years has truly made me believe the old adage that dogs really are man's best friend.

There will be some viola-ing tomorrow, I promise.

Until then, happy practicing.